Long time Singaporean collector of World War One and Two militaria from both Axis and Allied nations.

Living historian with 'Syonan Reflections'.

Husband, educator, friend and ex-soldier too.

Friday, March 19, 2010

A tale of two helmets...

Back in December 2009, I ordered an Original WW1 German M-16 helmet shell (Marked: B.F. 64) from the USA and it got sent to the ICA at Singapore Post Centre for further inspection. As a routine check, the shell got re-routed to the Arms and Explosive Branch (AEB) at the Police Cantonment Complex.

I did not had the time to go down to clear the shell with them. Not long later, helmet No. 2 came along, which was a replica WW2 US Airborne helmet, and this too got "stuck" at the ICA. =-p

Therefore, I thought I would allow both helmets to end up in AEB first before I made my presence there.

I was a regular customer at AEB when it was still named "Arms & Explosives Branch" some time back. The two helmets managed to get the green light for clearance and it's now in my hands for display.

I just ordered a reproduction M-16 liner and chinstrap for the German shell and shall update with more photos when I receive them.

The four month wait was well worth it!













Note the marking and the attachment for the chinstrap.




The beautiful M-16 helmet. The paint job was done post 1918 by the Belgians. But I love it!



A familiar sticker that many militaria collectors like us will encounter very often.



Looks like the guys forgot to keep these forms when they handed the helmets to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment